G650X Fuel Tank FAQ
Please read the Disclaimer
before attempting any work in this FAQ.
Last Updated: 1 January 2008, by Winter #1935
- General Questions
- How large is the fuel tank on the G650X models?
- Are there any larger aftermarket fuel tanks?
- Will a F650 fuel tank fit in a G650X?
- Can I remove the emissions canister?
For other related FAQs:
While the location of the fuel tank on the G650X models remains the same as the F650 fuel injected models (under the seat), the volume has been reduced by almost half! The F650 fuel injected models have 17.3L (15.5L in the US) and the G650X models have 9.5L (with a 2L reserve). There is only one fuel tank on the G650X models, as the emissions canister is mounted elsewhere on the G650X frame.
|Service Bulletin: Replacing Wiring Set for Fuel Pump Unit|
BMW Service Bulletin 16-001-07 (015) from April 2007 covers defective waring installed in the fuel-pump unit. This can result in your fuel pump failing. If your VIN number is later than those specified in the bulletin (see the Service Bulletins FAQ), the wiring should be correct. The defect is covered under the normal warranty.
According to BMW Atlanta on Advrider, the replacement is very easy to do, and only takes about 30mins maximum. It involves taking off the seat and removing the fuel pump assemply from the top of the fuel tank. BMW Atlanta also notes this is something your dealer should do.
|Service Bulletin: Engine test run to check the fuel hose|
|BMW Service Bulletin 16-002-07 (029) from June 2007 covers potentially deffective fuel lines in early model G650X models. This problem usually presents in the first ride of the bike and affects early models up to at least March 2007, and possibly models up to June 2007. Further information is pending. To test if your bike has the problem, your deal should have run the engine at idle for at least 5 minutes before you purchased it. BMW is still working on the action they will take on this issue.
How large is the fuel tank on the G650X models?
- The fuel tank is 2.51 gal with .5 gal reserve. (Or 9.5L with approximately 2.0L reserve)
Are there any larger aftermarket fuel tanks?
- There are rumors (and pictures) of an aftermarket Touratech fuel tank that fits over the upper front part of the bike, providing an extra 16L of fuel (giving the bike 25L of fuel total). This tank is reportedly available in mid-2007.
Will a F650 fuel tank fit in a G650X?
- No. The frames are different, and the front of the F650 GS/Dakar fuel tank will likely be in the wrong place for a G650X.
Can I remove the emissions canister?
- It's a filter working by adsorption to reduce the unburned hydrocarbon emissions. It does nothing for performance.
- 1. Line from gas tank to cannister (vent line).
- 2. Line from cannister which looks like it drains the cannister.
- I spliced line 1 & 2 making the tank vent directly.
- There is another line from the throttle body to the cannister. I capped that line. The better way is to remove the body panels from the right side of the bike which, I"m told, will give you enough access to the throttle body to cap the barb on the body directly.
- At this point, the cannister does nothing so you can remove it. Also unplug the solenoid switch and remove it. Clip the tie wrap using a snips and tuck the solenoid lead somewheres under the seat. Of course, you can clip the lead off instead, but I preferred leaving the bike in a profile where I can easily replace the cannister if I wish to.
- Do not remove the bracket which held the solenoid. You will need it to replace a trim piece.
- The same band clamps that held the cannister will hold a 1 liter MSR fuel bottle. That's good for another 20 miles